Splitting up time with the kids during the holidays

On Behalf of | Dec 20, 2018 | Family Law |

Divorce is difficult all year round, but it always feels extra stressful around the holiday break. Because of the short span between holidays, it’s vital to start thinking of how you and your former spouse will divide time for the kids during their holiday break long before it gets here.

It’s an awkward conversation to start because holidays often hold great sentimental value for some families. Neither parent may want to give up that precious time to the other. However, there are ways to address the issue without causing a fight.

Four ways to divide the time

There are several approaches parents can take while sharing custody of their children during the holiday season. The most common solutions are:

  • Alternating holidays every other year – one parent may host Thanksgiving while the other hosts Christmas. In the following year, they can switch places.
  • Split the day in half – one parent can celebrate during the morning with a child while the other parent may have the child in the afternoon. It does require more communication and planning on both parents.
  • Assign specific holidays – if you love Thanksgiving while your spouse loved Christmas, you might be able just to take over one holiday and celebrate with the child every year.
  • Celebrate twice – parents can schedule different dates to celebrate a specific holiday with a child. For example, one person can celebrate Christmas on 24th while the other celebrates Christmas on the 25th.

There multiple ways to adjust these solutions to fit your circumstance whether it’s combining aspects or ignoring them entirely. Either way, the easiest solution will be arranged by the parents because if the court has to intervene, it will make the holidays awkward for the child.

Disclaimer: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Sheehan, Barnett, Dean, Pennington, Dexter & Tucker, P.S.C. or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.