Grandparent visitation in Kentucky

On Behalf of | Jan 25, 2018 | Family Law |

A divorce severs the legal relationship between two people who were joined in marriage. It does not, however, sever the parties’ responsibilities to their children when they choose to end their relationship. In fact, parents who divorce are tasked with committing to custodial and visitation schedules that serve their children’s best interests.

When parents share custody of their kids, they may find that they do not get as much time with the kids as they had when they were married to their partners. In such cases, it can be hard for parents to give up the precious time they do have with their kids to allow the children to see other friends and relatives during their custodial periods. As such, important family members like grandparents may get even less time with the grandchildren that they cherish and love.

Kentucky grandparents have the right to seek reasonable visitation time with their grandchildren. They may petition the courts to enforce such rights, but there is a limit on how much visitation time they may be granted. According to a decision by the United States Supreme Court, a grandparent’s visitation time with their grandchild cannot interfere with the parents’ rights to raise their child.

In many families, grandparents are able to see their grandchildren when the kids are with the grandparents’ children for custody or visitation time. However, when parents are not able to make time for them, grandparents can work toward enforcing their visitation rights so long as doing so serves the children’s best interests. Family law attorneys can elaborate on this complex topic with readers who want to learn more about grandparent visitation.

Disclaimer: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Sheehan, Barnett, Dean, Pennington, Dexter & Tucker, P.S.C. or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.